Saturday, July 16, 2022

Getting ready for RvR: DAOC Classic server on the way?


I thought for the inaugural post for this blog I would briefly mention my return to Dark Age of Camelot in 2022. There are still some die-hard players who love this mmo and are playing it today. Usually when I do a search with the /who command I get at least 75 players on a weekend night, which is pretty decent for a game that is this old.

Chris Neal of the Massively Overpowered game site posted early in 2022 that Broadsword producer Talal “Eldariian” Saad had mentioned a classic new DAOC server promising big things like content that will be larger in scope and scale, longer periods of access to server dynamics, the ability to focus on or remove specific expansion features, and “wholly new and very exciting objectives,” all while offering players a level playing field to start off with. The dev. team for DAOC is pretty small so it is not any wonder that here we are 6 months later and this is still being developed.

Why do I get the inkling that we will probably get a DAOC classic server before Camelot Unchained, the RvR three faction mmo being developed by Mark Jacobs and his team, ever sees the light of day. I mean, here we are in mid July 2022, almost a decade after I first heard about this project and even though it entered beta 1 phase four years ago, and over $4 million has been pledged, still no concrete release date for the updated game has been forthcoming. 

At any rate, I felt an itch to play DAOC and even though I still have my wow account, I am thinking of alternating between these two mmos in the near future. It was relatively easy to join the Raven of Vallhala guild on the Ywain 4 server and spent a good amount of time in the old ToA expansion continent leveling and preparing to get my template for RvR.

I had a max level character back in the day and playing a zerker is rather easy, you pretty much get angry and beat up on mobs, the skills are relatively easy to acquire and learn. The only other Dark Age related news we had recently is that the traveling merchants have returned. According to a community post earlier this month, prices have been adjusted for some of the stores and a wide range of items were added including event and campaign items, including a bigger selection of potions.

The merchants can be found in Midgard just outside of Svasud Faste in the Vale of Murlan, in Albion just outside of Castle Sauvage in Camelot Hills and in Hibernia just outside of Druim Ligen in Connacht. This even will run until Monday, August 1. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everquest Bristlebane my mmo home

 Nexus of Geek is back soloing original EQ. Watch me try to get my toons to level 50 and beyond.