Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Dragons of Stormwreck Isle: Should you pick it up?


The new 5e starter set which includes the adventure "Dragons of Stormwreck Isle" dropped yesterday as a Target exclusive and if you are keen on watching reviews or unboxing videos of the product, there's a good number of them on the interwebs.

I have gone back and forth in my head whether or not to pick this up from WotC and to put in an order from Target because I do enjoy new adventure models, which is essentially what this is, overall if you are a new DM or player and thinking of getting this set, I would recommend against it, as you can pick up the 2019 Essentials Kit, which is a better value in my opinion.


I think I would only recommend this set to those among us who enjoy collecting RPG and specifically D&D stuff. I actually personally own the 3.5 starter box, the 4th edition red box and three of the 5e box sets WotC put out so far, the original 2014 set, the 2019 Essentials Kit and the branded "Stranger Things" box set. That last one was a gift though, not something I would have bought myself.  I have a link here to my Youtube Channel's video I recorded 8 years ago when the first 5e starter set came out if you are curious on my thoughts on that from back in the day.




I also recently watched a pretty good series detailing and ranking the starter set all the way back to the pre first edition Moldvay and Mentzer days to the current 5th edition and realized that the 2nd edition set may be the best one, but sadly I never picked that one up and would have to shell out some coin to get my hands on it.

Sadly, this set is a bit a letdown in my opinion, especially after the April preview video which Wizards put out hyping this thing up as some sort of gateway to digital content for n00bs. It's a head scratcher then that this set appears to only come with a sheet of paper which lists all the digital D&D related sites and links, without even including codes to discounted or free digital content which the Essentials Kit did have. 




Here is a short breakdown of the upcoming and recent releases from Wizards and my reaction to them based on my level of excitement about acquiring the product. 

  • Monsters of the Multiverse: released May 17, 2022. Still not sold on this book, I already own "Volo's Guide to Monsters" and "Mordenkeinen's Tome of Foes" and they are essentially the same monsters with some new streamlined mechanics and tweaks such as the removal of racial bonuses. Also the lore is removed, no thank you, I will stick with the old books.
  • Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel: released July 19, 2022. Also not sure about this one, on the one hand, the concept of real world myths which are different than the usual D&D fare of high fantasy and influenced by Dark Ages, Celtic, Norse and other familiar western mythologies is intriguing, and as much as I want to support the POC authors which contributed to this anthology of one-shots, I guess this doesn't pique my interest enough to want to run them or incorporate them into bigger and existing campaigns. Currently I am DMing and playing games in the Forgotten Realms, the default setting for 5e, so it makes more sense for me to incorporate one-shots from, say, "Candlekeep Mysteries," an anthology book that already sits on my shelf. 
  •  Spelljammer Adventures In Space: August 16, 2022. I know a lot of people are hyped about this release, but other than the recognizable Mincs and Boo, I have no connection to this setting, as I did not play a lot of D&D in 1989 when 2e was popular (though I wished I had) I think if I wanted to play a space fantasy RPG I would have chosen to go with Paizo's "Starfinder" or something similar to it eons ago, but it's a personal preference. Not all that hyped about this release tbh. You can preorder the entire set on Amazon and other retailers for about $42 which is actually pretty cheap, considering adventure books run about $50 but I think I will pass for now.
  • Starter Set: Dragons of Stormwreck Isle.  released Aug. 1, 2022. I think I pretty much covered this one.
  • Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen: release date, late 2022. This one was quite possibly the one I was mostly excited about, until I read that they had messed with the Kender and were open to making other changes to the Dragonlance lore. No!!! If they change too much, I am sticking to my 2e Dragonlance modules and books, especially the excellent 1e "Dragonlance Adventures" which is still one of my favorite old school campaign setting books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everquest Bristlebane my mmo home

 Nexus of Geek is back soloing original EQ. Watch me try to get my toons to level 50 and beyond.